23.132022 | Logistics


New EU rules mean that light goods operators will need to obtain an International Operators’ Licence if they are operating on the Continent. 

The fresh rules from 21 May mean operators or users of vans and other light goods vehicles over 2.5 tonnes and up to 3.5 tonnes in weight that transport goods for hire and reward from the UK into, or through the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, will need to obtain a licence.

You can apply for your licence here.
In the above link, there is no mention of adding vans to an existing International Operators’ Licence. If you need to do that, you can also do that on the above link.

Who needs one?
This requirement applies to:
vans or other light goods vehicles (sometimes called ‘light commercial vehicles’)
vans towing trailers
cars towing trailers
You’ll also need to have a qualified transport manager.
Temporary recognition

If you do not have the qualification, you might be able to be temporarily recognised as a transport manager if you have enough experience.

Alternatively, if you already have a goods vehicle operator licence, you’ll need to add these extra vehicles to your licence.

You can make the process easier by using the service on GOV.UK to apply to be recognised as a temporary transport manager if you have at least 10 years’ experience of managing fleets of vehicles.